Thursday, April 8, 2010

Presto Chango Burlap Pillow

Oh how I love the burlap pillows that are popping up everywhere!  With so many lovelies out there, it was hard for me decide what I wanted to try first (and I only had time for one this week).  I would really like a bunch of spring/summer pillows to liven up the beige-ness of our furniture, but I didn't want to have a bunch of pillow covers that I'd have to store after the summer (I already have way to much stuff in my attic!)  Sooooo, I made a lovely lined burlap pillow cover and decided to use pin-on embellishments for each season (or whenever the mood strikes).  I only made one so far, but I love it!  This weekend I'll sew up a few more in different sizes.  Then I can sew one or two really spring/summer pillows to add into the mix :)

I started with a little travel pillow (I have found them to be much cheaper than actual pillow forms of comparable size), and sewed a simple envelope cover.  Because the burlap is loosely woven, I decided to sew in a lining too:


Left plain it looks just like a feed sack.  Actually, I do kinda like it plain, but the rest of my living room is too formal to pull it off. 

For a little pop of spring, I sewed a little rustic flower from a few scraps of fabric (oh how I love scraps of fabric).  I used a strip approximately 3' long and 2" wide to gather into a ruffly circle using a running stitch (sorry, I didn't think to take a picture of this step).  And for the center I just took another strip approximately 2' long and 2" wide and wound it around into a coil:


Once the flower center was big enough, I hot glued it to a little round of felt - super easy!  Then I hot glued the center right onto my ruffly flower:


I stitched a safety pin to the felt and attached the finished flower to the pillow.  Here's my new Presto Chango pillow:


I love the simple embellishment right now...but who knows, tomorrow I might make a few more little flowers or something altogether different :)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow that looks great! I love it:)

The Commish said...

Cute idea!

Unknown said...

The pillow is great and I really love the flower you made!

Nancy

Sarah said...

I'm in LOVE with your simple burlap pillow. I think I"m gonna have to give it a try!
God's blessings,
Sarah :D

Jamielyn said...

sooo cute!!

I'd love for you to link this up over here http://iheartnaptime.blogspot.com/2010/04/sundae-scoop-link-party.html

Unknown said...

i love fabric flowers, so this is totally up my alley. i'm definitely doing this to jazz up my couch soon. come visit me and enter my very first giveaway of some of my designs and a pottery barn giftcard @ www.barefeetonthedashboard.blogspot.com.

Katie Olthoff said...

Very cute! The flower is adorable!

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something said...

absolutely delightful! with so much charm! I love making fabric flowers, too! I hopped over from The Girl Creative and am so happy that I did. Please accept my invitation to drop in at my place when you get a moment. I have become a follower and I hope that you will do the same. until later...

Kaysi said...

WOW!! I really like how it turned out!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

This is so charming!!! I love how simple and elegant it is. And the flower in the middle is to die for!!

Laura said...

So cute! I love the flower.

I would love it if you joined my "Saturday is Crafty Day" party on April 24th! Stop by my blog for details.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

This burlap pillow is soooo stinkin cute...thanks for showing her off at NTT!

Blessings,
Linda

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

This is SO darling! I featured your idea here:

http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/2010/04/wednesdays-wowzers-prepare-to-be-wowed.html

Thanks for the inspiration!!

Alison

Lisa B. said...

Love how you make your flowers!

avisiontoremember said...

That looks really great!
thanks for linking up to check me out saturday
www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Love this! I love pillow as easily changed out decor options, and love this one!
We have a friday fun finds party that's still going- we'd love it if you'd link up!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails