Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My DIY 'Home Studio'

...and by 'Home Studio' I really mean Dining Room.


IMG_9833



Last year I finally upgraded to a DLSR.  One of my 'justifications' was that I'd never have to take Munchkin to get a crappy studio picture again.  So I spent the year obsessively taking pictures and trying to figure out how I was going to get a 'studio' portrait in our house.  Our dining room has great light, but I didn't really want the hard wood/baseboard/wall as the backdrop.  So I did some Googling and Pinterest searches looking for backdrop holders.  Enter Hubster and all of his awesomeness.  He took a look at a few of the pictures and then built the perfect backdrop holder


He just used a few 2x4s to build the supports...


IMG_9680



and two pieces of PVC to hold the backdrops (he used a hole saw to cut out the hole for the PVC to fit through)...


IMG_9681



For this year's Christmas picture, I used a few yards of dark grey felt that I steamed after hanging up.  I'd like to say that the pictures were awesome...but Munchkin was not in the mood and I was rushing.  This is the best one from the bunch: 


IMG_0507b



Aaaand some outtakes:


IMG_0459IMG_0511IMG_0503



I love that Hubster will build me whatever crazy thing I ask for and act like it's totally normal for a dining room to get turned upside down all in the name of a Christmas picture!


I participate in the following link parties: Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Skip to My Lou, The Girl Creative, Making the World Cuter, Miss Crafty Pants, Super Stinky Boys, Mad In Crafts, Embellishing Life Everyday, Keeping It Simple, The DIY Home Sweet Home Project, Chocolate Drool & Kisses, Simply Cadence, Polly Wanna Crafter, Sew Can Do, Tip Junkie, My Frugal Family, Coastal Charm, New Nostagalia, Blessed with Grace, The Creative Itch, Funky Polka Dot Giraffe, Home Stories A to ZThe Lettered Cottage, A Bowl Full of Lemons, At Home with K, All Thingz Related, Today's Creative Blog, Not Just a Housewife, Sew Much Ado, Blue Cricket Design, My Backyard Eden, Gluesticks, Extreme Personal Measures, The Thrifty Home, The Trendy Treehouse, Someday Crafts, All Things Heart and Home, Elements Interiors, My Girlish Whims, DIY by Design, Somewhat Simple, House of Hepworths, Seven Thirty Three, Fireflies and Jellybeans, Beyond the Picket Fence, Black Kat Design, Thrifty 101, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Finding Fabulous, Poppies at Play, The Inspired Room, KoJo Designs, Whipperberry, Inspiring CreationsRomantic Home, The Speckled Dog, At the Picket Fence, Little Brick Ranch, Designer Garden, Simply Sweet Home, Simply Designing, Tatertots & Jello, Funky Junk Interiors, Be Different Act Normal, Saturday Morning Blog, It's a Crafty Life, I Heart Naptime, Under the Table and Dreaming, Creative Jewish Mom, Flamingo Toes, The DIY Showoff, Marvelously Messy, Nifty Thrifty Things, Thrifty Decor Chick, The Cottage Chick, Running with Glitter, One Artsy Mama, Dittle Dattle, Southern Lovely, Naptime Creations, Ladybird Ln, Sew Many Ways,

28 comments:

Catrin said...

I think this is awesome. I think it is totally normal to turn a room upside down in the name of whatever you want... Makes life not boring...
Greetings from Germany
Catrin
P.S. Found you through the kojodesigns link party.

Unknown said...

This is awesome, and I totally need one! Too bad we have absolutely NO natural light in our apartment. Kinda makes photography difficult ;)

Boden said...

What a great idea! I love that it's big enough for someone to stand in front of, yet small enough you could easily move it around for the best lighting. I'd love to have you come share this at the Head to Head Showdown, going live tonight at 10 at www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com Hope to see you there! ~Jen

Christine said...

GENIUS!! The photo turned out perfectly!! I love your ''studio'' hehe

Check out my blog too:
http://thediydreamer.blogspot.com/

Pitter and Glink said...

Great idea! The pictures look great too!

Unknown said...

Cool! I should do that! I think I have a laundry rack that I could do this with... thank you for the idea!
Your pictures turned out great!

Happy New Year!
~Liz

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Great idea! And sweet place you have here! I have perused several of your posts and enjoyed each one. Fun stopping by to visit with you!

Kindly, Lorraine

Melissa (Melly Sews) said...

Very Nice - I like that you could easily adjust the width and store this in a small space. Off to find materials for Hubby.

Krista Schneider said...

You lucky duck, what a great idea!

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You said...

what a great idea!!

Natasha xx

www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

Susan@Success/Fail DIY Projects said...

I love that idea. Now I don't have to do as much research. Thanks so much! Check out my bathroom redo on Polly Want A Crafter linky party.

Unknown said...

What a smart idea! I may have to copycat this one...thanks!
P.S. I really like the out takes...real life isn't so bad. He's a cutey pie. ;)

Jemmmma said...

What kind of camera did you get? I would love to upgrade!

maxwellhouseinteriors.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

That's awesome! I had the same justification when I bought my camera, but haven't perfected 'studio' portraits yet. Guess I need more equipment!

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

Love it!I have a hubby that builds me things for me, as well. We are truly spoiled!

G Inspires said...

It looks great! Thanks for sharing...this would solve a lot of peoples backdrop issues! Visiting via Under $100 Linky Party

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I love that--your photos are great! I have been known to tape a back drop to the wall--this is so much better!

Just Jaime said...

This looks awesome! I need to make one for myself!

Jenniffier said...

Great Idea

Anonymous said...

How great that he built that for you! I kinda like the middle out take photo. I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to play with your new photo studio and catch your son in a cooperative mood along the way!

Special 'K' said...

Who would have guessed. That look awesome. My first visit to your amazing space here. Thank you so much for sharing. I know I am going to enjoy looking around and returning often. I look forward to engaging throughtout twenty twelve. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

Hi! Visiting from Sundae scoop. This is such a great idea! I bought a dslr camera for the same reason.. thank you for the tip!

I would love for you to share this at my link party in you get a chance :)

Janet said...

You're so smart! This is a really great idea. I like the fact that it can easily be taken apart to be stored too.

The Southern Product Queen said...

Love this post! I'm also having a linky party, and would love for you to join! Here is the link http://www.thesouthernproductqueen.com/one-stop-shoppe-linky-party-3 Thanks for sharing!!!

Abby said...

Such a great idea!

Kathy said...

Fab results, the portraits look very professional. What a cutie!

Chef in Training said...

Thats really a great idea! I would love it if you would link this up to the Tuesday Talent Show this Tuesday at Chef in Training! I hope to see you again next Tuesday!
-Nikki
Chef in Training
http://www.chef-in-training.com

tabaco123 said...

I really liked your article. Keep up the good work. I love it. Teenager auto insurance

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails