Monday, August 8, 2011

Simple {Oven} Sun Dried Tomtoes

Another weekend, another trip to the Farmer's market.  I finally remembered to buy enough cherry tomatoes to make a batch of sun dried tomatoes (the darn squirrels have been eating ours!)  This isn't so much a recipe as it is a description of the process.  These delicious little flavor nuggets are definitely worth the time they take :)




Simple {Oven} Sun Dried Tomatoes


2 pints cherry tomatoes
olive oil (2 tablespoons for drizzling and up to a cup for packing the finished tomatoes)
1 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning blend (or to taste)


1 - Preheat oven to 225 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil (totally optional, but easier cleanup)
2 - Half tomatoes and place them cut side up on the baking sheet




3 - Drizzle a bit of olive oil on the tomatoes - about 2 tablepoons
4 - Sprinkle with salt and seasoning blend (the tomatoes absorb the seasoning and intesify the flavor - if you like a stronger seasoning flavor, just add a bit more)




5 - Add tomatoes to oven for 3-4 hours.  Check every 30 minutes (after the first 2 hours) to ensure even drying.  Rotate the pan as necessary.



6 - When the tomatoes are finished, they pucker up and look all dried and pruney


 
The tomatoes are ready to eat immediately or can be packed in oil for a longer life in the fridge (up to 3 weeks).  To pack in olive oil:


1 -  add 1/4 inch oil to bottom of a glass container
2 - top with dried tomatoes to within 3/4 inch of the top of the container
3 - fill with olive oil to 1/2 inch of the top of the container (be sure to cover tomatoes with olive oil)


I ended up with 2, 1/2 pint containers packed with oil and ready for pastas, pizzas, and toasted baguettes!


I participate in the following link parties: Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Skip to My Lou, The Girl Creative, Making the World Cuter, Miss Crafty Pants, Super Stinky Boys, Mad In Crafts, Embellishing Life Everyday, Keeping It Simple, The DIY Home Sweet Home Project, Chocolate Drool & Kisses, Simply Cadence, Polly Wanna Crafter, Sew Can Do, Tip Junkie, My Frugal Family, Coastal Charm, New Nostagalia, Blessed with Grace, The Creative Itch, Funky Polka Dot Giraffe, Home Stories A to ZThe Lettered Cottage, A Bowl Full of Lemons, At Home with K, All Thingz Related, Today's Creative Blog, Not Just a Housewife, Sew Much Ado, Blue Cricket Design, My Backyard Eden, Gluesticks, Extreme Personal Measures, The Thrifty Home, The Trendy Treehouse, Someday Crafts, All Things Heart and Home, Elements Interiors, My Girlish Whims, DIY by Design, Somewhat Simple, House of Hepworths, Seven Thirty Three, Fireflies and Jellybeans, Beyond the Picket Fence, Black Kat Design, Thrifty 101, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Finding Fabulous, Poppies at Play, The Inspired Room, KoJo Designs, Whipperberry, Inspiring CreationsRomantic Home, The Speckled Dog, At the Picket Fence, Little Brick Ranch, Designer Garden, Simply Sweet Home, Simply Designing, Tatertots & Jello, Funky Junk Interiors, Be Different Act Normal, Saturday Morning Blog, It's a Crafty Life, I Heart Naptime, Under the Table and Dreaming, Creative Jewish Mom, Flamingo Toes, The DIY Showoff, Marvelously Messy, Nifty Thrifty Things, Thrifty Decor Chick, The Cottage Chick, Running with Glitter,

17 comments:

A Covenant Broken said...

Hello. I love this recipe you are sharing. I found you on Tip Junkie and am sharing one of your pictures with your link on my website. I think this is great. I didn't see your button. If you need help with a button, my blogroll has a link. Thanks again and blessings to you and yours.

A Covenant Broken said...

Sorry forgot to leave my website address. http://gr8day2save.com

Lina - Fancy Frugal Life said...

This is awesome! I love sun dried tomatoes and they are so pricey st the store! very smart....

Gloria said...

YUMMY! I do a version of this, roasted cherry tomatoes in the oven, and use it as a side dish, which is so delicious. But I never thought of 'drying' them in the oven, as you do, and then jarring them! You're a genius!
Best,
Gloria

A Stone Gatherer said...

I love sundried tomatoes!!! Thanks for this process!

At The Picket Fence said...

I've never made these myself but I'm going to try my hand at it now for sure! I used a jar of them (from the store) last night to make pesto and it was just so yummy over pasta. Thanks so much for sharing this at Inspiration Friday!
Vanessa

LivingSoAbundantly said...

That's a great idea. :) Yum!

Abby said...

Fantastic idea! I'll have to remember this for the next time cherry tomatoes go on sale at market.

Jennifer said...

I came across your blog on Skip to my Lou! I'm a new follower and fb fan!

I'm hosting a link party..."Fusion Fridays" {Open All Weekend!}
http://janedeereblog.blogspot.com

I would love it if you would come by Friday and link up!

Lovely Light said...

Hi there- found you through the hop and am a new follower. My hubby loves sun dried tomatoes, me, not as much. maybe I we make them, I'll like them more! I hope you have time to follow my life in South Africa by http://withoutcomplexities.blogspot.com

I hope you have a great week!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

One of my favorite things to eat! The small ones are wonderful in pasta salads, but I do larger tomatoes this way for soup or sauce. Yummo!!

:)
ButterYum

Courtney O'Dell said...

yum, yum! I featured your lovely post on my friday finds post today!

http://sweetcsdesigns.com/archives/1504

Erin @ In Between Laundry said...

What a great idea. I would have never thought of making my own oven-dried tomatoes. I'm pinning this for sure. www.inbetweenlaundry.blogspot.com

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

Looks divine. All of my cherries have come up at the SAME time. I wish this had a shelf life longer than 3 weeks... :)

Do you think a food dehydrator would be effective as well?

Thanks for sharing!

Joanne said...

Can you freeze the dried tomatoes for longer storage life?

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

I caught eye of your blog when on another and just had to read it. I love your idea. Now that the gardens are past there sure are a lot of cherry tomatoes and this will be a great idea for saving them. Great Tutorial.

I would love to have you to link up at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/11/clever-chicks-blog-hop-59-with-egg.html

I hope you can make it!
Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/

Lynda said...

Sounds great! At my day job we make asparagus pomodori which has sundries tomato butter in it. I’ve wanted to try it from scratch at home for my family. This will be a nice fresh version with no preservatives thank you !!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails