Sunday, April 24, 2011

Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake

For Easter breakfast, I wanted something yummy and simple that I could whip up early and pop in the oven while Munchkin was looking for his Easter treats.  Growing up we always had homemade cinnamon rolls for Easter breakfast (usually in the shape of bunnies).  I was feeling a little, shall we say, less ambitious.  So I tried combining my favorite cinnamon nut roll filling with a basic coffee cake.  Add a little cream cheese icing and you have yourself the taste of a cinnamon roll with the ease of a coffee cake.  Winner winner I could eat this coffee cake for dinner :)


Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Topping
1 1/2 cup brown sugar

1 cup pecans, chopped fine
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 sticks butter, melted

Icing
2 oz cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons milk


1 - Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease 13x9 pan
2 - Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside
3 - In a large bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy
4 - Gradually beat in sour cream & sugar
5 - Beat in the eggs one at a time and stir in vanilla
6 - By hand, fold in the flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated. Spread batter into prepared pan.

For the topping

1 - In a medium bowl, mix together brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon
2 - Stir in melted butter and mix into a sugary paste
3 - Sprinkle over cake batter in pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

Icing

1 - Beat cream cheese until soft
2 - Add sugar and vanilla and beat until combined
3 - Add milk by teaspoon until desired consistency reached
4 - Drizzle over coffee cake

I like it best served warm.  Oooey gooey cinnaliciousness!



I participate in the following link parties: Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Skip to My Lou, The Girl Creative, Making the World Cuter, Miss Crafty Pants, Super Stinky Boys, Mad In Crafts, Embellishing Life Everyday, Keeping It Simple, The DIY Home Sweet Home Project, Chocolate Drool & Kisses, Simply Cadence, Polly Wanna Crafter, Sew Can Do, Tip Junkie, My Frugal Family, Coastal Charm, New Nostagalia, Blessed with Grace, The Creative Itch, Funky Polka Dot Giraffe, Home Stories A to ZThe Lettered Cottage, A Bowl Full of Lemons, At Home with K, All Thingz Related, Today's Creative Blog, Not Just a Housewife, Sew Much Ado, Blue Cricket Design, My Backyard Eden, Gluesticks, Extreme Personal Measures, The Thrifty Home, The Trendy Treehouse, Someday Crafts, All Things Heart and Home, Elements Interiors, My Girlish Whims, DIY by Design, Somewhat Simple, House of Hepworths, Seven Thirty Three, Fireflies and Jellybeans, Beyond the Picket Fence, Black Kat Design, Thrifty 101, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Finding Fabulous, Poppies at Play, The Inspired Room, KoJo Designs, Whipperberry, Inspiring CreationsRomantic Home, The Speckled Dog, At the Picket Fence, Little Brick Ranch, Designer Garden, Simply Sweet Home, Simply Designing, Tatertots & Jello, Funky Junk Interiors, Be Different Act Normal, Saturday Morning Blog, It's a Crafty Life, I Heart Naptime, Under the Table and Dreaming, Creative Jewish Mom, Flamingo Toes, The DIY Showoff, Nifty Thrifty Things, Thrifty Decor Chick,

36 comments:

MeMeSue said...

Looks so YUMMY!!

Brandi said...

Looks delicious! I bet it tastes great!!

Unknown said...

Such gooey decadence!! Thanks for sharing! Thanks also for your sweet comment on my blog.
Blessings ~ Heidi

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

That looks absolutely heavenly!!! We love cinnamon rolls...this recipe looks doable for me! :) Visiting from The Stories of A 2 Z! Hope you'll stop by my blog to say hi. :)

Two Sides of the Rainbow said...

This looks so delicious!! I love anything cinnamon.

Nicole said...

Mmmm--I can smell this baking now:) Lovely to meet your blog.

Deanna said...

Ahh this looks so good can't wait to try it out! Thanks for sharing!

Deanna

http://deelitefulcreations.blogspot.com/

Miss. Tarrah Dame said...

I made something similar to this not too long ago...it was delish! I'm on a cinnamon roll kick and will probably make this too :) thanks for sharing!
<3 DameGoodEats

Natalia Lynn said...

This looks incredible. I think I will have to try this. THanks so much for sharing!

Kindra-At Home With K said...

I love cinnamon rolls and I love coffee cake! This sounds heavenly! :) Thanks so much for linking up to Terrific Under Ten!

Lisa said...

Combining a cinnamon roll & coffee cake in one has got to be amazing! YUM!

Lindsey Stipes said...

looks so good!! YUMMY!! thanks for sharing...found you via the tip junkie!!

Susan Freeman said...

This sounds so delish!!! Thanks for the recipe.

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Anonymous said...

Super idea - a perfect combo of 2 tasty treats and I am sure you son was none the wiser!! Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday. I hope to see you again next week!!

At The Picket Fence said...

What a great combination! It sounds just delicious and we are so glad you shared it with us at Inspiration Friday this week. That is my kind of breakfast! :-)
Vanessa

Sue@creativetryals.blogspot.com said...

Oh boy that looks delicious!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

sorry hon, as good as that looks....this linky today is for etsy shops or online boutiques. :)

Victoria ObSEUSSed said...

Yum! I love both kinds of treats. This is a great combo. Thanks for sharing. Visiting from TT&J.

Char@The Starter Home said...

This looks so yummy. I think I may have to make this just for me :)

Cricket said...

I can't wait to try this. Me and my coworkers get together for girls night and play games, laugh and eat. This will be perfect!!
Found you at I Heart Naptime...come on over and visit me sometime.

www.cricketscafe.blogspot.com/

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Sooo very yummy! I'm going to make them soon for next weekend's breakfast! Thank you for sharing your recipe, they look grandiose!
Hugs
FABBY

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

That looks like a perfect Easter breakfast, especially with the cream cheese icing. Yum!

Brandy J. said...

This looks amazing! I just found what I want for breakfast. :)

Patty said...

Made this morning, we are munching on it right now, with some fresh coffee.. Rich and yummy good.. Thanks for sharing.

Julie said...

So I was looking for something easy and yummy to take to Sunday School for breakfast next week. I tried this recipe today to make sure it was as good as it looked. HA! This cake is AMAZING!!!! Soft, sweet, warm, delicious, easy .... oh yes, this is going to be a treat for Mother's Day breakfast! Thank you for sharing : )

Amy said...

This post will be featured at New Nostalgia tomorrow! Thanks for linking up!!

Just Jaime said...

My sister would LOVE this! I'm totally sharing this with her!

Lindsey said...

Mmmm..that looks to die for! I am bookmarking this recipe! :) Thanks for sharing.

Wendy said...

Mmm... that sounds so YUMMY!

Dr. Laura @ WhoIsLaura.com said...

This looks amazing! I'm going to try it this weekend with the kiddos :)

Feel free to come share it with Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesdays @ www.WhoIsLaura.com

Thanks!
Dr. Laura

Naturally Me Creations said...

Ooooh, this sounds amazing! I'm borrowing this recipe...thnx! :)

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

This looks so yummy!

Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites! I'm featuring you this week. Come by and grab my featured button if you'd like one.

keatseatsblog said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE these! I'd love for you to link them up to my sweet treats party tomorrow! Hope to see you there!
-Ashton www.somethingswanky.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my site and becoming a follower! This recipe look absolutely fabulous!!! BTW I am now your latest follower!

Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} said...

This looks really delicious! Thank you so much for linking this up to {nifty thrifty sunday}!
I hope to see you again this week! :)
xoxo,
Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

This looks so yummy! I am going to feature it on Thursday!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails