Thursday, June 17, 2010

20 Minute Placemat Pillow

Happy Thursday!!  This week I found myself in KMart (shock!) perusing the sale items.  What did my thrifty eyes spy but some lovely Country Living placements.


These babies started off at $6.99 - not a bad deal, but they were reduced to $2.99 - even better!!  They're a nice quality having a front, back and lace overlay.  Aaaaah lace doilies.  Don't they just whisper country chic? 

Since they would last about 5 seconds on my dining room table, I decided that they would make a fantastic addition to my summer pillow collection.  Placemats are the perfect size to cover travel-size pillows.  Travel pillows seem to make an appearance in the 'mart' stores around mid spring and promptly sell out in two weeks (maybe it's just my stores, but they fly off the shelves!)  I bought a bunch this year at $3 a piece.  For the money, they're my favorite decorative pillow inserts!

This is my favorite kind of project - fun, easy, and instantly gratifying (and at $6, pretty thrifty too).  All I did was rip out the seam of one long edge...Stuff with my travel pillow (it's a tight fit)...Pin the edge back together...And hand sew the seam back up. 


Easy peasy and such a pretty addition to my pillow addiction collection!

13 comments:

Heather said...

Aww I love this. One of my friends does this as well and it always turns out so pretty! I just need to learn to sew now...oops. :) Thanks for linking up to Fabulous Friday!
Heather @ www.savingmoneylivinglife.com

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

So cute! Love this placemat pillow! I'm featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

FineArtPainting said...

What can I say? Great minds think alike.

Read this post:
http://www.finecraftguild.com/yarn-free-pillow-free-crochet-pattern/

:-)
Rose

Anne said...

Brilliant!!! It looks like you spent hours crocheting the cover!

I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-easy-peasy-lace-doily-throw-pillow/2010/06/19/

--Anne

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

This is adorable! What a fantastic idea! So pretty! http://www.bystephanielynn.com/2010/06/sunday-showcase-party-wgrowing-green.html

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Love this! I'll be featuring this tomorrow! Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase. I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful week. ~ Stephanie Lynn

Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! said...

This would be a great, modern way to show off some vintage doilies, too. I see them all the time at antique shows and fleas for cheap! Thanks for showing this to us on Modern Craftswoman Monday! Rory

Anne Maskell said...

They are so pretty! I'd like some to put on my bed. I'm visiting you from the pj party, hope you visit me too!

KimMalk said...

These are so pretty, I especially like the bright green underneath peeking through. I'd love for you to link them up with Fabric Fun Thursday :).

McKell said...

those are darling! i love the doily look. so clever & cute :) and even better, cheap!

*come take a look at my blog if you'd like :)

Katie Olthoff said...

That is adorable! Love the fun colors underneath!

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

WOW! That turned out great, I love it!

Anonymous said...

Love projects like this one, thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling sunday! Hope to see you again this week!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails