And for anyone who was interested in the recipe - here it is. I made zero changes to the recipe included in the Sure Jell box (I was terrified to screw up the gel set).
how cute are theses tiny little jars!
Strawberry Freezer Jam
1 pt fresh strawberries
4 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup water
1 package Sure Jell pectin
- Core and mash berries with a potato masher (or the beaters to your hand mixer...I'm just sayin). For anyone who hasn't seen the straw hulling tip - check out Amy from New Nostalgia's tute here. It is genius.
- Add the tons o sugar to your crushed berries and stir it up
- Let the sugar-berry mixture sit for 10 minutes
- After about 8 minutes into the berry sitting process, add the water and pectin to a saucepan and heat to a boil, stirring constantly
- Boil pectin water for a full minute, stirring constantly
- Remove pectin water and add to the berry mixture
- Stir it all up and ladle into clean jars - I used 13 tiny 4 oz jars. The recipe says that it fills 5 regular 8 oz jars
- Let your jam sit for 24 hours - then they're ready for the freezer