Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Bacon & Mushroom Pasta

This is an adaptation of PW's Pasta with Bacon and Mushrooms - I made the adaptations based on what I had in the pantry and that I was making it for a crowd (5 adults - which is a crowd for us).  It's a heavenly heart-attack in a bowl.



Bacon & Mushroom Pasta

1 pound bacon, cut into 1/2 pieces
2 heaping teaspoons minced garlic
1 package baby bellas, sliced
1 1/4 cups milk, 2%
1/4 heavy cream
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup parmesan, freshly grated
1 pound angelhair pasta


Start water for pasta

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add bacon pieces and cook until light brown but not crisp. Remove bacon from pan and set aside. Do not clean pan.

Add mushrooms and garlic to pan. Toss/stir around and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes; increase heat to high if needed to help mushrooms begin to turn golden brown.


Pour in milk. Stir, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any bits. Cook over medium-high heat for several minutes, or until the liquid is reduced by half.  Add garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
 
Add angelhair to pot to cook
 
Reduce heat and pour in half and half and cream. Stir and allow to bubble and thicken for a couple of minutes. Add bacon back to the pan and add the Parmesan and stir, allowing cheese to melt and incorporate into the sauce. Turn off heat.
 
Drain pasta and retain 1 cup cooking water. 
If sauce is too thick, add pasta water 1/4 cup at a time until desired consistency is reached. 
 
Add cooked pasta to a large bowl.  Add the sauce from the pan. Toss with tongs.


Garnish with additional grated parmesan cheese.  
Yum!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds soooo good! I'm gonna be giving this one a try. Gotta love pasta!

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

This sounds wonderful. I love mushrooms and pasta so this is right up my alley. Thanks for sharing.
http://itsybitsypaper.blogspot.com

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

Thanks for this recipe. I can tell it's a winner & I'm looking forward to trying it.
Warmly, Michelle

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Oooh. this sounds like something the hubby would enjoy.
He's not big on pesto(?) spaghetti sauce. So we don't eat much spaghetti-- this sounds so creamy.
I may give it a try.

Could you substitute cream cheese that comes in a tub for half and half?
I never buy half and half...but I almost always have cream cheese...

just wondering.
I'm gonna have to try this.

Blessings~

Humble Homemaker said...

Mmmmm, this dish is totally up my street. :) I will definately have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing. I am your newest follower!
Humble Homemaking

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails