Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My Monte Cristo

I love fruit paired with meats.  Hubs does not.  At all.  For any reason.  I would love to serve a gorgeous pork chop with mango sauce.  Or a lovely chicken with apple stuffing.  But that would mean I'd be preparing a completely seperate meal for the Hubber.  So instead, I get my fruity fix with deliciously addictive Monte Cristo sandwich.  I can make the Hubs and little Bubs a no frills grilled ham & cheese at the same time I'm whipping up this delicious delight...


Monte Cristo Sammich

4 pieces sliced bread
4 slices deli honey ham (sliced paper thin...or however you like it)
2 slices swiss cheese
dijon mustard

2/3 cup water
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt

butter (for frying)
powdered sugar (for dusting)
fruit preserves of your choice (for dipping)

1 - Heat a griddle/griddle pan over medium high heat
2 - In a medium sized bowl, whisk the flour, water, egg, baking powder and salt together to create the batter

3 - Lightly coat 2 slices of bread with Dijon mustard
4 - Assemble 2 sandwiches by placing 2 slices of ham on each of the Dijon coated bread slices, topped with a slice of cheese, 2 more slices of ham and the second slice of bread
5 - Slice sandwiches in half
6 - Dip each sandwich half in the batter to coat (allow excess to drip back into the bowl)
7 - Lightly coat griddle/griddle pan with butter
8 - Fry sandwich halves on the griddle until brown on all sides
9 - Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar and fruit preserves (I like strawberry or blackberry)

Yum Yum Yum :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm stopping by and following from Follow Me Wednesday. I hope you'll check out my blog Frazzled Mama at http://frazzled-mama.com and follow me back.

Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles said...

Oh, i just had lunch and I still want some!!! Looks great!
(stopping by from the Wednesday blog hop)
http://willcookforsmiles.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow! This is yummy. I'm going to book mark it. I'm a new follower from Follow Me Wednesday. http://www.grandmasguidetolife.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails