Thursday, October 14, 2010

I {heart} Garlands

Happy Thursday!!  Ever since I made a spring rag garland, I've been in love with garlands hanging on our mantle - they're just so festive!  So of course I had to make a Halloween one.  I started out making a felt candy corn banner but it felt a little sparse:



So I added some 'weeny rag treatment in between each of the candy corn:


Soooo much better :)

As for a tutorial, I don't really have much of one :( 
  • I free hand cut a rounded triangle out of a file folder then cut it into thirds (for each color).
  • Then lots of felt cutting (I used one sheet of each orange, yellow and white) to get fronts and backs for 8 candy corn.
  • Using a 8 ft length of ribbon, I pinned all the felt pieces together, sandwiching the ribbon between the front and back of each lil corn.
  • Using my sewing machine, I used a zig zag stitch to connect the pieces then straight sewed around the perimiter - you could also zig zag the front and back seperately then join them together (I was just going with the fastest, not neatest method).
  • As for the rag part - The pieces cut were approximately 4 inches long and 3/4 inch wide.  I didn't want them to be completely uniform, so some pieces are a little longer/shorter/wider/thinner (I cut everything with scissors)  The fabrics used were mostly cotton with a sheet of sparkly felt, orange netting and a few spools of halloween ribbon.

3 comments:

Amy @ Positively Splendid said...

I love what the fabric strips added to this! Adorable!

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Very cute and clever, it came out so very well!

Marion said...

I saw you on the blog Craft Link Party Polly want a crafter. I invite you to come visit and maybe join the link party - Galeria de Criações Compartilhadas – (Shared Creations Gallery), on my blog. Sunflower is the issue of the number 1 ! Hugs, Marion

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails