Monday, June 20, 2011

More Craftroom Progress

The craft room is starting to take shape :)  After much deliberation and some trial and error - Here's what part of the workspace looks like after this weekend:


My stash of buttons were sorted out into individual 1/2 pint canning jars - separated by color and hue...
 

Munchkin got to help with the sorting.  He now asks if we can sort them again.  He asks at least 3 times a day.  I should not have sorted while Munchkin was awake. 

My scissors, rotary cutter, and catch-all metal containers are now happily off the workspace and up on the wall. 


I bought 2 of these magnetic knife racks from IKEA and LOVE them!  The cylindrical containers are from JoAnn's - I bought them a few years ago for $1 apiece (they were found in the party supplies section).  The square containers are from Making Memories - they originally held paper flowers. 

I don't have a ton of fabric to display (I have lots of random fabric, just not alot that I'd like to have out) - Mostly just fabric for Munchkin's current quilt project and a few random yards that I couldn't resist.  For some of my smaller pieces - charm packs and quarters, I went with a fun display using a tiered melamine tray


The fabric that you see stacked beside the tray (in the first pic), are yards wrapped into mini-bolts using foam core.  I had hubs cut foam core sheets into 4x6 using his table saw.  Easy and cheap.

Now I just need to ask Hubs to hang a few shelves... make some cork/pin/memo boards... make the skirt for the workstation... organize the rest of the stuff... and it'll be just about done ;)


I participate in the following link parties: Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Skip to My Lou, The Girl Creative, Making the World Cuter, Miss Crafty Pants, Super Stinky Boys, Mad In Crafts, Embellishing Life Everyday, Keeping It Simple, The DIY Home Sweet Home Project, Chocolate Drool & Kisses, Simply Cadence, Polly Wanna Crafter, Sew Can Do, Tip Junkie, My Frugal Family, Coastal Charm, New Nostagalia, Blessed with Grace, The Creative Itch, Funky Polka Dot Giraffe, Home Stories A to ZThe Lettered Cottage, A Bowl Full of Lemons, At Home with K, All Thingz Related, Today's Creative Blog, Not Just a Housewife, Sew Much Ado, Blue Cricket Design, My Backyard Eden, Gluesticks, Extreme Personal Measures, The Thrifty Home, The Trendy Treehouse, Someday Crafts, All Things Heart and Home, Elements Interiors, My Girlish Whims, DIY by Design, Somewhat Simple, House of Hepworths, Seven Thirty Three, Fireflies and Jellybeans, Beyond the Picket Fence, Black Kat Design, Thrifty 101, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Finding Fabulous, Poppies at Play, The Inspired Room, KoJo Designs, Whipperberry, Inspiring CreationsRomantic Home, The Speckled Dog, At the Picket Fence, Little Brick Ranch, Designer Garden, Simply Sweet Home, Simply Designing, Tatertots & Jello, Funky Junk Interiors, Be Different Act Normal, Saturday Morning Blog, It's a Crafty Life, I Heart Naptime, Under the Table and Dreaming, Creative Jewish Mom, Flamingo Toes, The DIY Showoff, Marvelously Messy, Nifty Thrifty Things, Thrifty Decor Chick, The Cottage Chick,

41 comments:

BluBabesCreate said...

Inspirational. Come over an see some reupholstery.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Everything is looking need and tidy. Sounds like you need to find something else for munchkin to sort. Kids love that kinda thing. Your rainbow snack is sweet. Have a great day. Tammy

AsylumTanya said...

I sorted buttons with my daughter (2) last week. She was in heaven! Thanks for sharing your progress. I really need to get some of those knife holders!

Skooks said...

I just finished my sewing room reorganization as well! Yours looks great. Love the button jars. :)

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

So many buttons!!! I'm jealous!! lol. looks like its coming along awesome!!

I'd love for you to link this up to my link party, Your Whims Wednesday! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/06/your-whims-wednesday-12-and-features.html

Tricia @ SweeterThanSweets said...

Wow, that is great! I love sorting too so I can't blame your Munchkin. =)

LrSchwtz said...

It's looking good! I can't wait to see more. I love checking out other's craft rooms. Please stop by www.laughloveandcraft.com and link up to my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party! I'm your newest follower!

chris said...

Such a happy spot to create. I love the buttons especially.

Michelle said...

LOVE IT!!! The metal containers on the knife strip look adorable. Thanks for linking up at DIY Thrifty Thursday!
Michelle
www.thrifty101.blogspot.com

Andrea . Charcoal and Crayons said...

Looks organized, but pretty too! A great place to create in!

Shauna K said...

visiting from Somewhat Simple- love the fabric displayed on the tray!! super cute!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you joined the Block Party so I could see this. Love the IKEA knife strip idea. Ihave lots of those little tins holding scrapbook brads.

I also think you just need to get more things to sort. One can never have too many buttons.

Delaney said...

It's looking super organized, I like your creative uses for storage!
http://sweetteaserendipity.blogspot.com

Lovely Light said...

Hi there- found you through A to Z's hop and am a new follower. Very nicely done! I wish I had a craft room! I'm moving soon to the smallest space I have ever lived in (besides a dorm room) soon...sigh! I hope you have time to follow my life in South Africa by http://withoutcomplexities.blogspot.com

Have a great week!

KimMalk said...

Stopping by from SS. I really admire your progress--as I can rarely see anything through to completion. Your buttons colors are so pretty, as is your stack of stash fabric.

Leslie said...

I could only hope to have a craft space this well organized! This is so well organized!

Poor Badger Creations said...

I wish I could get motivated to be more organized with my crafts. Great job!

Angelina @ April Violet said...

Here from WhipperBerry! Great job organzing!! I love the magnetic strip, very useful for more than knives ;)

Jen @ My Own Road said...

Thanks for the inspiration! I'm trying to organize my craft room as well, it's not an easy task :)

jamie w said...

It's so pretty. I would love a craft room. Maybe my closet could be my little craft hole haha. I really like your storage ideas.

Lorie said...

It all looks beautiful! And I am loving your jars of buttons! So fun!

Unknown said...

i need to do something like that! although i don't have a craft room, but just the craft closet, but still... mission organization! saw you on under the table and dreaming :)

Christine said...

I love your button storage--I use small jars like that for my flower soft. The magnetic strips are super handy--I would totally be able to use them...

annies home said...

love your organization so clean and nice come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

LivingSoAbundantly said...

I love Ball jars, and you used them wonderfully! :)

All Things Fee said...

Canning Jars are great in every room!

Would love for you to share at Calling All Crafters!
http://allthingsfee.blogspot.com/2011/06/calling-all-crafters-13th-edition.html

Karima said...

Great photos and ideas.
New google follower via Skip to my lou link party, please pop by, karima x
www.karimascrafts.com

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

Very nice and so organized! I haven't ever seen half pint jars like that!

Kelly @ Run With Glitter said...

Wow it looks WONDERFUL!!!I'm over from the Tip Junkie Party.. http://runwithglitter.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I love this! Looks so cute and organized. I need to find a place for myself like this. I too and from tip junkie party.
http://natsknapsack.blogspot.com/

Ashley said...

safe to say i am fully jealous and I LOVE IT!!!!!!
http://jaysonandashley.blogspot.com/

FeltByRae said...

Looks so lovely, you have inspired me to get my crafting shelving unit organised today, that way I can have good crafting weekend with everything at hand instead of having to rummage for whatever I need!

angie said...

very nice! the same thing happened to me when i sorted my buttons...now every time we see a button, my son wants to run upstairs and put it in the jar :)

Rachel Rose Mercantile said...

I am inspired! I now have ideas for my work station. Thank you!

maemakes said...

That looks SO good! I did something similar, lots of hanging baskets and magnetic canisters too! (I have a really small space). Isn't there something so great about colorful buttons in mason jars?

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

Everything is so well organized, I wish I have a craft room too!!

Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} said...

Great job organizing everything! :)
Thank you so much for linking it up to {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
Hope to see more of your creativity tonight! :)
xoxo,
Vanessa

Inspired By June said...

Saw your link at Whipperberry's party... will be designing a craftroom very soon... thanks for the inspiration!

At The Picket Fence said...

Everything is looking so fantastic! Thanks for sharing this at Inspiration Friday!
Vanessa

Eve @ Not So Artsy said...

I love the Ikea Knife Racks. We are getting ready to create my craft space and I have been looking for something like this! It's so creative.

Whit said...

I love the craft room and totally love the button containers so stinkin organized and pretty :) I found you through the sunday scoop linky party and am your newest follower. Come and visit and follow back :)

A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails