Monday, June 27, 2011

Pretty Sun Jar

Our back deck needed a little mood lighting.  And wouldn't it be cool if said mood lighting turned on automatically at dusk and didn't need to be plugged in.  Sure, I could've just popped a few solar lights around the deck, but where's the diy in that ;)  Obviously what we needed was a sun jar! 



This little baby took 3 supplies, 5 minutes of effort and about $6.  The thing I love about this is that it's versatile.  If I find a jar that I like better, it only takes 3 seconds to switch them out.  If we get tired of the blue stones, we can switch them out with clear, or whatever.  Want to make one too?  I'm sure you can figure out the few steps involved...


1 - Buy your stuff...1 solar light...1 glass (or plastic jar)...1 bag of decorative glass pebbles


2 - Strip your light portion of the solar light from it's stake (mine just pulled right off)
3 - Remove the 'glass' portion of the solar light - in my case it just screwed right off
4 - Add glass pebbles to the jar and top with the solar light


It just so happened that this solar light top was able to sit cleanly on the rim of the jar - this is what it looks like without the stones

5 - Bask in the blue alien glow


Ok, I'm going to come clean.  This isn't exactly what I wanted this to look like.  I really wanted to put the whole solar light down into the jar.  But I was impatient and any bigger jars were just too big...or they didnt' have a clear lid (kinda required for the whole solar charging thing).  So I went with what was in stock at Walmart - a small jar that has too small of a mouth (totally something that is never said about me) for the solar light to fit through.  Well, at least without me totally disassembling it...and I wanted this it be fast.  So that's why I'm on the lookout for a new jar.  But until then - I like it as is :)


I participate in the following link parties: Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Skip to My Lou, The Girl Creative, Making the World Cuter, Miss Crafty Pants, Super Stinky Boys, Mad In Crafts, Embellishing Life Everyday, Keeping It Simple, The DIY Home Sweet Home Project, Chocolate Drool & Kisses, Simply Cadence, Polly Wanna Crafter, Sew Can Do, Tip Junkie, My Frugal Family, Coastal Charm, New Nostagalia, Blessed with Grace, The Creative Itch, Funky Polka Dot Giraffe, Home Stories A to ZThe Lettered Cottage, A Bowl Full of Lemons, At Home with K, All Thingz Related, Today's Creative Blog, Not Just a Housewife, Sew Much Ado, Blue Cricket Design, My Backyard Eden, Gluesticks, Extreme Personal Measures, The Thrifty Home, The Trendy Treehouse, Someday Crafts, All Things Heart and Home, Elements Interiors, My Girlish Whims, DIY by Design, Somewhat Simple, House of Hepworths, Seven Thirty Three, Fireflies and Jellybeans, Beyond the Picket Fence, Black Kat Design, Thrifty 101, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Finding Fabulous, Poppies at Play, The Inspired Room, KoJo Designs, Whipperberry, Inspiring CreationsRomantic Home, The Speckled Dog, At the Picket Fence, Little Brick Ranch, Designer Garden, Simply Sweet Home, Simply Designing, Tatertots & Jello, Funky Junk Interiors, Be Different Act Normal, Saturday Morning Blog, It's a Crafty Life, I Heart Naptime, Under the Table and Dreaming, Creative Jewish Mom, Flamingo Toes, The DIY Showoff, Marvelously Messy, Nifty Thrifty Things, Thrifty Decor Chick, The Cottage Chick,

30 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know... I kinda like the short and squat jar! I'm always looking for glass marble projects. This is so simple - and cute! Love it.

Kelly said...

it is very pretty. Good job.

Building It On Pennies said...

Very creative! And cute!
Jeanne
www.buildingitonpennies.com

Artsy VaVa said...

I love this! What a great idea.

BluBabesCreate said...

Never seen anything like that! Thanks for the compliment! You're welcome to follow along.

Maureen said...

Awesome idea!!!

Found this great project on Today's Creative Blog Link Party!!

Jenniffier said...

That is such a fun idea!

Ycats said...

AWESOME idea!

TheCraftInMe said...

Love the addition of the blue pebbles.

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

This is such a great idea. Kudos.

Ashley said...

wow this is fun and beautiful:)
http://jaysonandashley.blogspot.com

M.CoffeeSnob said...

What a super idea and you are TOO cute - the small mouth comment would not apply ti me either, btw! Enjoyed your blog.

~m

Lydia said...

What a marvelous idea!

At The Picket Fence said...

"Alien Glow"...LOL! :-) That really is a very clever idea and even if it didn't go exactly as planned I think it looks great. Thanks so much for sharing this at Inspiration Friday!
Vanessa

Bella♥Storia said...

This is awesome! I was -just- thinking of a way to do this, so it's great that I saw your post (via WhipperBerry) for a little more inspiration. TFS!

Homeroad said...

Wow! I have these lights, I'm going to try your project! Great job!
Susan

FerrellGraph-x said...

I've seen something similar with mason jars before. I really like the "alein glow" on the colored glass rocks.
Kindest regards,
Jennifer Ferrell

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Seriously?! I have never seen anything like this in my life! What a fantastic idea -- SO going to try this! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Delaney said...

This is so cool!
http://sweetteaserendipity.blogspot.com

CC said...

That's such a great idea! I already have the materials to try this myself. Going on the to do list now... Thanks!

~Iffy~ @ StayAtHomeNation said...

How cute is this?!? I would love for you to link this up to My Favorite Things party! There's a new one every Friday
& be sure to check out my giveaway too! Stopping by from the Tip Me Tuesday party.
Thanks
~Iffy~

www.stayathomenation.blogspot.com

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

This is such a creative idea! I love it!

Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites. I'm featuring you this week. Come by and grab my featured button if you'd like one.

Honey at 2805 said...

Neat trick! Thanks for sharing!

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Such a great idea!! Thanks for sharing! :) I would like to try this one!!

Heather Libbey said...

This is so clever! I have a ton of these marble pebble things leftover from my wedding last year. Thanks for sharing!

Melissa said...

I LOVE this idea! Great job - even if it's not exactly what you wanted. Like you said--easy to change!

Cristy @ Art•ing Shed•quarters said...

I just linked up after you on Skip to my Lou, and this is such a neat idea! "Brilliant" actually ( pun intended )

Inspired By June said...

I like the small jar too! Lot's of options here though! But that's what makes DIY so fun! Thanks for sharing!

Amy said...

You are featured at New Nostalgia's Anti-Procrastination Tuesday. Thanks for linking up!

Herballistic Garden said...

I love this idea! And, I love that it worked out awesome anyway! Doing this for sure. I came over from Pinterest! Now, I'm going to follow you...great stuff! wendy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails