Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Fluffy Winter Wreath

To display our Christmas cards this year, I whipped up a clothespin card wreath (and oh how I loved it).  When we took down the Christmas decorations, that wall felt so bare and lonely.  It needed a friend.  Something to fill the void left by that fickle card wreath.


Being as it was late and I'm impatient, I searched for supplies to make a fluffy winter wreath.  Cardboard...check  50 Walmart bags...check  After a week of cutting up bags and tying them around the cardboard form I ended up with this
 Oh how I love a simple, inexpensive project.  And now the wall is happy again.



To make the cardboard wreath form, I used a left over sweater sized gift box and traced a round platter for the outer edge and a dinner plate for the inner edge.  The form ended up being 2 inches thick

Then all you need is 50 or so plastic shopping bags.  I used bags from Walmart because that's what I had the most of and I didn't want any variation of color


To make the strips,flatten out your bag and cut off the bottom of the bag about 1/4-1/2 inch from the bottom



Then cut off the handles of the bag to make a rectangle



Finally cut off the logo/printed part(s) of the bag


I cut the strips in approximately 1 1/2 inch widths.  To minimize cutting time, I would cut the bottom, handles and logo off of 5 or so bags and then stack them together and fold them in half vertically to cut the strips.  That would produce 10 strips in a single cut.
 

To assemble, tie 2 strips at a time around the wreath form and double knot.  I positioned all the knots along the outer edge of the wreath to ensure uniform fluffiness


3 comments:

karebear said...

I love all your wreaths...

Courtney said...

very cute! i love making wreaths!

DANA said...

That's great! If you have not been by yet, make sure you enter my linky contest! The best of January 2011 will be showered with prizes! I also have some great Valentines giveaways going on right now!

http://www.thesaturdaymorningsblog.com/2011/01/strut-your-stuff-link-up-party.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails