Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My Beef Stroganoff

Last night I made Pioneer Woman's Chicken with Lemon Basil Pasta.  It was creamy and lemony.  I loved it.  Hubbers did not.  At all.  So today I'm making one of his favorites - Beef Stroganoff.  It too is creamy but with the absence of lemon and the tang of cream cheese.  It's heavy comfort food that goes best with a nap.  Here's the recipe that I use.  It's been adapted from one I found on Allrecipes years ago.

Beef Stroganoff ala Slow Cooker

1 1/2 pounds cubed stew meat
2 cans cream of golden mushroom soup
1 medium onion, sliced medium-thin
1 pound sliced mushrooms (I usually use portabellas, but white mushrooms work fine too)
1 tablespoon butter/olive oil
1/4 cup beef broth
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons cream cheese (you can also use sour cream)
1 pound egg noodles, cooked
1 tablespoon butter
salt & pepper to taste

  1. In a slowcooker, combine stew meat, golden mushroom soup, beef broth, worcestershire sauce, and sliced onion
  2. Cook on low for 8 hours
  3. After 5 hours, sautee sliced mushrooms in butter or olive oil until golden brown
  4. Add sauteed mushrooms to the slowcooker
  5. Once egg noodles are cooked and drained, add noodles back to the pot with a tablespoon of butter and salt & pepper to taste, stir to coat all noodles with the butter
  6. Stir in cream cheese (or sour cream) to slowcooker just before serving
  7. To serve pile noodles in a shallow bowl and top with a ladle or two of stroganoff

1 comment:

karebear said...

One of my New Year's resolutions is to cook more. You best believe I'm making this next week for dinner! And the fact that it's in a slow cooker makes things soooo much easier.

However, hubby does not like mushrooms so it looks like I'll be eating all of those and he can have all the meat. Oh well. Good thing I like mushrooms: )

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails